Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Final To-do Items


The last couple of weeks of August were spent frantically working to accomplish the last minute items.  Forcing myself to a self-imposed deadline, I used every available amount of spare time to make sure that I was ready for the late August appointment to move Froonie to the marina for launch!

I spent my birthday weekend applying the bare teak trim to the interior of the raised forward hatch lip.  The teak trim would provide a rough finished look, and a place to mount hardware for securing the hatch in its closed position.  The clamps are indicative of the work...


At home, I took the opportunity in the evening to finish the forward hatch assembly: teak-colored polyurethane applied to the underside of the lexan glass, secure the lexan glass with stainless fasteners (countersunk), more teak-colored polyurethane, and final teak trim secured with stainless fasteners.


Back on Froonie, I mounted the forward hatch with stainless hinges and purpleheart (wood species) backing plates.  I would apply a D-shaped gasket to the underside of the hatch, as well as add brass hooks, to finish the installation.


Next, I completed the assembly the outhaul and gooseneck fittings for the boom (drilling and taping for stainless screws), and set all hardware and fasteners in Tuff-Gel, an anti-corrosion / anti-seizing product.


....and back down to Froonie, I drilled and tapped for the 1/4" bronze screws that would secure the genoa track on port and starboard toerails...


....toerails installed!  I was just about ready to go.  What I do not have pictured on the blog is the running of Froonie's electrical:  all-around anchor light, steaming light, deck light, nav lights, cabin lights (4), bilge pump with float switch, and new panel.  This work was performed by a local marine tech., which I was able to shadow somewhat, and proved to me that it is essential to learn this trade prior to work on the next, larger vessel.  In addition to the electric, I installed new halyards (main, jib, and spinnaker), topping lift, and flag pennant.


No comments: