Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Move & Launch of the Froon


The day had arrived!  It has been almost exactly three years since this 23' Sea Sprite, to be named Froonie, was transported from Rhode Island to Florida; three years of on-again and off-again restoration work.  I really took my sweet time with this restoration, learning as I went, leaning on the combined knowledge of the Plastic Classic Forum and of the experience of Lackey Sailing LLC (Tim is always generous with his time).  Did I do some things wrong, you bet!  In fact, I had to back up a few steps on a couple of occasions.  But this was a learning experience, a jump-in-feet-first-and-learn-it experience. For the work I have done, the money spent (more than I imagined in the beginning), the hours and hours given...I can clearly say, I LOVE THIS WORK!  I love working on the classic boats as much as I enjoy sailing them...I appreciate their lines, their hardware, their utility, sitting at the mooring or in a slip, on port tack or on the hard.  It's true, they rarely build'em today like they used to.  This Carl Alberg design has been a blast restoring for my daughter, Skylar, or as her mom and I nicknamed her when only a few months old, Froonie.

August 29th, 2011, Tom Wagner, of Wagner Trucking, arrived with hydraulic trailer to move Froonie to the marina.  Tom and I spent about an hour getting things 'right', cautiously working to position her just so on a trailer built for much larger vessels.


Tom is a Mass.-raised boy, and a great guy...so, if you are in need of this specialized transportation service, then give him a shout (he has contacts all across the lower 48 too).


At last, Froonie makes her exit...


The next morning, August 30th, the boys and girls of Green Cove Springs Marina were fast at work pulling Froonie from Tom's trailer and prepping her for the water.


After stepping onboard, checking for any leaks that might spring up, we walked her back and tied her off to then prepare for the stepping of the mast.  During this time, I removed the tape left on to protect the topsides and deck during the varnish work.  I also readied cotter pins, rigging tape, prepared lines, etc.


Just prior to the stepping of the mast, Bob, the owner of the marina, gave me a US $1 coin to place on the mast step.  This was a nice touch, in the mariners' tradition, and I thanked Bob for his thoughtfulness.


Well, there she sits.  Froonie, to the water!  I can't wait to begin to teach Skylar how to sail her sailboat.


3 comments:

Lori Bloxom said...

What a GORGEOUS boat!!

Brian Milby said...

Thank you, Lori!

Sara Tim said...

THat's a really nice boat Biran.
I would like you to check Albany County Fasteners for the best quality fasteners, hardware, and tools.
https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/