Saturday, July 2, 2011

Finally! - Bottom Paint!!



     Over the coarse of three days in late June stretching into July, I prepared for and applied Froonie's bottom paint: Interlux Micron CSC.  I had plans, after consulting with my daughter on numerous occasions, to use a blending of Petit's Vivid products to get a purple color of her fancy.  However, I chose the Interlux product over Petit for a couple reasons: reading some user remarks lead me to feel I would not get the best protection from marine fouling organisms by using the Petit product, and secondly, I received a great deal on the Interlux CSC product.  I did stay with the captain's color choice, purple, and achieved this by blending Interlux's red and blue CSC color choices.  On with the application...

     Wednesday, June 29th, I raced down to Froonie after leaving the office to begin readying her for the application of the bottom paint.  I should note that the weekend just prior, I moved the keel blocking around to apply a couple coats of the Interlux Interprotect 2000E on the portions of the keel and bottom hidden by the blocking and jack stand pads; so on Wednesday, I was ready to begin with completing the bottom.  I wiped the surface with a towel dampened with solvent - riding the surface of weeks of dirt and debris build-up.  Next, I again taped the water line.  The bottom margin of the tape would be the highest mark of the bottom paint.  Once I had the tape applied, I began hand sanding the first couple of inches immediately below the tape line, as well as those areas that the VS random orbital could not easily access.  The picture below is post wipe-down and just prior to application of the tape and sanding.  In a fit of perfectionism a few weeks ago, I decided to apply yet another coat of topsides paint (the pink) due to some irregularities in the finish on Froonie's counter - opposite the engine well opening.  



Thursday was the day to paint! ...a wet and windy day at that, but I was determined to use the time that I had to accomplish yet another milestone in Froonie's refit.  I had completed the sanding on Wednesday - 80 grit by hand and random orbital sander to create a good mechanical bond surface for the bottom paint to adhere to.  A few days prior, I emptied the four quarts of Micron CSC into a purchased gallon paint container.  Now, I was bound for the building center to have them agitate the paint in their mixer.  The weather combined with work traffic prevented me from getting to Froonie early, but arriving at 7:00pm did not deter my will to complete this job...


I first wiped her surface down with a water-dampened towel, followed by a solvent-dampened towel.  Once I was confident that all residual sanding dust was removed, I prepared to move forward with the bottom paint.  A steady rain kept me company...and my feet wet.  This picture does not show it, but the first coat of bottom paint was applied!  I closed shop with the sun below the horizon.



Friday, July 1st, after leaving the office, I was right back down to Froonie for her second coat of Micron CSC bottom paint - custom purple blend.  The first coat appeared to be fine, the weather was more agreeable, and traffic allowed an early arrival - an auspicious start!  I immediately set to painting the water line using a two-inch brush; I also painted the bottom of the keel and the leading edge of the rudder with the brush - as I had done on the first coating.  After the portions to be brushed were completed, I turned to the 3/8" nap roller. Working my way from port bow around to starboard bow, I completed the second coat of bottom paint.  Felt good to have this done, and I immediately thought back to her bottom condition as I took ownership.  I will allow a sufficient cure time prior to moving the keel blocks around to access and paint the "hidden" areas - underneath the keel blocks and jack stand pads.



Looking to stern, Froonie's cute bottom.  Prior to leaving on this day, I drilled and tapped the new aft chainplate machine screw holes, and secured with 1/4" stainless steel machine screws, nuts and washers (bed in Sitka 291).

No comments: