Thursday, July 7, 2011

Companionway Trim Installation


     On Monday, July 4th, I spent a few hours installing the companionway trim.  On Saturday, the 2nd of July, I spent a few hours combing through the fasteners isle at a local marine chandlery - Pier 17.  This store has an incredible selection of "hard-to-finds", but you have to willing to dig, search, pick, and tease out the items you need.  I am not sure that the owners really keep a running inventory at all...but what a great place.  So, I spent about 2 and a half hours picking through various size silicone bronze wood screws until I found exactly what I was looking for.  Having spent so much time in the store, I would have to wait another day for the install.  That day had come...
     All of the brightwork was cleaned with TSP, sanded, and varnished with about 6 to 7 coats of Epifanes High-Gloss.  The picture below shows the sliding hatch rails installed (with one additional trim piece on the starboard side).



...and here we have yet more of the trim installed...



...a few more pieces to go...

No comments: